A: The Self-Determination Program (SDP) also is commonly known as Self-Directed Program allows participants who are Medicaid qualified, such as people with disabilities or aging adults, to have more personal control over their service plans. This control allows these participants to select care givers and providers to best suit their needs.
California Self Determination Program (SDP)
About the California Self-Determination Program (SDP)
The California Self-Determination Program (SDP), also commonly known as a Self-Directed Program, is a more person-centered and flexible way to receive your support and services through your Regional Center. SDP gives the participant more choice and control over their budgets and who provides their services. The most important part of SDP is that it allows the participant to get the services and supports that fit their life and support their life goals!
Participants in SDP can choose their providers including a Financial Management Service (FMS). The FMS will help the participant complete the enrollment process, hire workers and make the payments to the service providers they choose!
Who is Public Partnerships?
Public Partnerships (PPL) is a Financial Management Service (FMS) provider that believes we can transform lives by making self-determination easier for ALL.
Relationships are at the center of everything we do, and we build them with all members of the participant’s Circle of Support. We have over 20 years of experience helping participants with developmental disabilities take control of their services and supports to live their best life. Self-determination is a journey and we will be there every step of the way.
We have been helping participants with developmental disabilities in California since 2012.
That means we have a great understanding of what SDP is, the differences between Bill Payer, Sole-Employer and Co-Employer and the services available.
We also understand budget spending over the year will impact the next budget, so we make sure participants always have access to their budget balances.
Our staff can help the participant and their family in deciding on which SDP option is best for them based on their Person-Centered Plan (PCP) and their Individualized Program Plan (IPP).
Call to learn about SDP, and if it's the right choice for you.
Mark has been in the area of self-determination for 13 years, working across the country and has been a repeat presenter on Self-Determination at the National Home and Community Based Services conference.
He promises to making self-determination easier for all, supporting you and is open to answering any, and all, questions about self-determination and the SDP.
Hear about PPL's promise to our participants through the voices of our customer success team in this video short, "We are here for you".
Why Choose Public Partnerships as your SDP FMS?
Self-determination is commonly referred to as “self-directing” your home and community-based services.
Each state has a “self-directed” service option, each is a little different, and we have provided FMS for over 50 of them.
FMS is our only business, this is all we do, and we have done it better than any other company in the country since 1999. Our understanding in California and across the country means we know:
- That Self-determination and “self-directing” your own services is new and different and can be overwhelming.
- All aspects of the Self-Determination Program from Person-Centered Planning and Independent Facilitation to how funds can be moved within the SDP budget.
- The regional, cultural and financial challenges across a state as varied as California, and;
- The need for access to budget information, spending and remaining balances.
We also understand that Self-Determination is person-centered, so we are committed to delivering FMS in ways that support the participant to make sure they reach their goals!
PPL has two choices under the SDP:
- Bill Payer – Bill Payer is for the participant who only wants to select service providers like non-medical transportation or need medical equipment, supplies or housing access supports. There are many other types of services the participant can select through SDP, but Bill Payer does not include directly hiring workers.
- Sole-Employer – The participant does want to directly hire workers and may also want to choose other types of services and workers under Bill Payer.
Your Self-Determination journey starts with Public Partnerships. We are here to help you!
How to receive long term service and supports for you or your loved one is a BIG decision!
The SDP program allows you to focus on living your life in a way that gives you or your loved one the greatest choice and control that you want.
Participating in a “self-directed” program gives you the most choice, control, and freedom. It has the potential to change lives – the participant, their family, and those in the Circle of Support.
Self-Determination or self-direction has been referred to as “the best kept secret in long-term care” and one that can lead to more hours of care for you/your loved one.
Are you looking to get more information about being paid to take care of a loved one? Find out more by reading about the benefits of Self-Determination (self-direction).
Learn more about PPL FMS for the Self-Determination Program by registering for more information.
What Participants are saying about PPL
"All the service I have received has been top notch. Everyone has been friendly, helpful and knowledgeable."
“This program has been wonderful for our family. I am so thankful all you stand behind us.”
“I think this service is excellent! Thank you and keep doing what you are doing.”
"The Customer Service person was extremely patient and I really appreciate that because nowadays it is great to have someone who is patient, courteous and willing to help."
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
A: Any person who meets the below requirements can sign up for the Self-Determination Program.
• Has a developmental disability and gets services from a Regional Center
• Agrees to detailed terms and conditions, which include but are not limited to, participation in an orientation for the Self-Determination Program/Self-Directed, working with a Financial Management Services (FMS), and managing the Self-Determination Program/Self-Directed services within an individual Medicaid budget
• Does not live in a licensed long-term health care facility (i.e., a Skilled Nursing Facility or Intermediate Care Facility). If a person living in one of these facilities shows an interest in the Self-Determination Program/Self-Directed, through the person-centered planning process, he or she can request that the regional center begin making plans for their changing to the Self-Determination Program/Self-Directed, provided that he or she is will move to the community within 90 days.
A: Financial Management Services (FMS) help participants handle their personal budgets by paying bills and managing the payroll for support workers.
A: Yes. The participant is expected to use services of an FMS provider of his or her choosing. The FMS provider must be a vendor of a regional center.